Diabetes can cause so many problems in your health and the rise of non-insulin in your body can give some of the worst time of your life. We all know that Diabetes comes from sugary items we eat and it is hard to avoid those delicious food items, but for the sake of our health, we need to maintain the number of sugary items we are consuming on a regular basis.
Around 90% of the diabetes patients are suffering from type 2 diabetes which is adult-onset diabetes. So anyone who is seeing the symptoms of diabetes may be having some type of diabetes.
Top 10 Diabetes Friendly Foods
Diabetes is caused by high blood sugar and glucose level in your body, mostly when your blood sugar gets very high. The rise of blood sugar level can come from food items like bread, pasta, fruits, and desserts.
IN order to avoid getting diabetes to an extent you need to take some serious measures mostly on the department of what you are consuming on a regular basis. Your diet needs to be changed if you are consuming a lot of high sugar food items I just mentioned. It all comes down to what type of carbs you are taking on a regular basis.
If you think that you need to eat unattractive or not delicious food, then you might be wrong since there are plenty of delicious food items which are low on blood sugar level and at the same, their tastes are satisfactory. You will eat enough and get your regular proteins and carbs that suits your health without any chance of getting diabetes.
So here are some of the food items which controls blood sugar level that tackles diabetes:
1. Have roasted, cooked and raw vegetables – Vegetables are healthy and full of nutrients. You can try out mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, sprouts, and low carb squashes as they are very delicious and at the same time, they will add colour and flavour to your meal.
You can add more flavour to your low-carb veggies by adding seasonings like rosemary and cayenne pepper. Dips options such as salsa and guacamole can take your meal up a notch.
2. Greens –In order to eat the ultimate low carbs greens, you need to go beyond salad and try out roasted kale, spinach or chard as chips. They are delicious, healthy and low on carb.
Add greens in your roasted veggies of kale leaves with olive oil for more flavour and texture. Kale and Spinach have several vitamins including vitamin C. In one study, an increase in vitamin C intake reduced the inflammatory markers. Green veggies are also good for antioxidants lutein properties.
3. Fatty Fish –Salmon, sardines, and anchovies have all the goodness of fats, and hence they are known as fatty fish. Fat is commonly known as a bad substance which can lead to an increase in weight but fats present in fatty acids are omega 3 fatty acids, and they are very beneficial for health, especially for the heart.
Regular intake of omega 3 fatty acids DHA and EPA is very important for diabetics and people who have a high risk of getting heart disease and stroke.
DHA and EPA fatty acids are powerful fat cells which protect the blood vessels and arteries function.
So keep eating fatty fish and lower the chance of getting diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
4. Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a common spice which has antioxidant properties, and studies show that cinnamon has the ability to lower blood sugar level and improve insulin sensitivity in diabetics.
There is long term diabetes control which needs to be determined after every 2 to 3 months. Diabetes control is measured by counting the haemoglobin A1c. By haemoglobin count, it shows your average blood sugar level over 2-3 months.
Other studies show that 2 diabetes patients who took cinnamon for 90 had a rapid reduction in haemoglobin A1c which is double the rate of those patients who received only a standard measure of reducing haemoglobin A1c.
5. Eggs – Eggs are full of health benefits, and it is one of the best food items for the source of protein, and that is why Eggs are very popular in the fitness department. Eggs are also a great source for reducing heart disease, decrease inflammation and improve insulin sensitivity.
Eggs also provide good HDL cholesterol levels and reduce the LDL cholesterol both in terms of its shape and size.
In one study, 2 diabetes patient take eggs on a daily basis, and the result shows improvement in cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
6. Chia Seeds –Chia Seeds are high in fibre and are a wonderful food to control diabetes. These low carbs seeds do not raise the blood sugar level.
It lowers the rate of blood sugar level at the rate in which the food moves through your gut.
Chia seeds will also make you full as they are high in fibre and without increasing your weight.
7. Turmeric –Turmeric has active ingredients which are responsible for lowering inflammation and blood sugar levels.
Other benefits that turmeric provides are an improvement of kidney and lower the risk of heart disease. As diseases related to the kidney are very likely to happen with those who are diabetes patients it is very important to take good care of your kidneys as well.
8. Greek Yogurt – Most dairy products should be avoided by diabetes patients, but they can take Greek yoghurt as they are healthy and delicious. Greek Yogurt contains probiotics which have several health benefits such as reduce heart disease, improve blood sugar level and other health risks.
Type 2 diabetes can take yoghurt because of many reasons. It can make you lose weight and improve your body composition. Studies and research shows that it happens because of the high calcium count and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) found in yoghurts.
9. Nuts –Nuts are full of nutrients, and they are a good source of low digestible carbs. The number of carbs count varies with the type of nut, so here are the amounts of digestible carbs in some popular nuts
- Almonds – 2.6 grams
- Hazelnuts: 2 grams
- Macadamia: 1.5 grams
- Pecans: 1.2 grams
- Pistachios: 5 grams
- Walnuts: 2 grams
Nuts also reduce inflammation and lower blood sugar level which diabetes patients can eat as they don’t have any chance of giving your situation any worse and instead, it makes it better with its nutrients.
10. Broccoli –Brocolli when we hear about it we don’t get really appetizing but the fact that it is very healthy and nutritious, there is no denying that you should have this once in a while.
A cooked Broccoli contains 27 calories and 3 grams of carbs which is very nutritious and gives you several health benefits. You will also get vitamin C and magnesium which has its own benefits for diabetes patients.
Brocolli, as the study shows, it reduces insulin levels and protects the cells from harmful radicals which are produced during metabolism.
There is always a solution for the problems related to your health, and the ones I have mentioned in this articles are absolute solution to control your diabetes so that you can lead a healthy life.