We all know and have tried dieting at least once in our lifetime. It is becoming a fad, and everyone wants to diet to be able to reduce weight and look their best. Everyone wants a sleek and nice body, and this does not just relate to a woman, even men these days are trying new diets. Today there are so many different types of diets in the market that all of them can be quite confusing. Keto and paleo are also diets which are often quite confusing. We hope to break these diets down for you so that it is easier to check them out and understand which fits you the best if you are planning on a diet.
There are some similarities in these diets and also some differences which will help you to choose which fits you the best. Let us first understand what exactly these diets actually are.
Keto diet is very popular. Chances are even if you do not know what it exactly is, you must have still heard about it. Keto diet consists of low carb and high fat intake. The carb consumption reduces to almost zero, and intaking fats are allowed. What happens here is that your body goes into ketosis mode.
This is a metabolic state. Because you are no longer taking any sorts of carbs, your body has to resort to other means to be able to produce energy. When there are no ways to burn carbs and glucose, your body ends up burning fats for energy. This leads to your body opening up your existing body fats and using them to make sure your body is going to be energized.
After a while, your body becomes more and more comfortable at burning energy even though it might be difficult in the beginning. You fat into ketones which is nothing but a fat byproduct which is produced when fat is broken down. This helps to lose weight as all your stored up fat is actually being burned and used.
Paleo diet is also known as the ancestral diet. Sounds weird? It is actually believed that the paleo diet is somewhat similar to the food that is eaten by people in the early stages of human evolution. The word paleo itself means older or ancient which is generally referred to as the geological past. So this diet refers to absolute organic eating.
This does not forbid you to eat carbs but you need to eat organic vegetables and fruits, and when it comes to meat it needs to be naturally raised which means the animals need to be grass fed. You cannot consume anything that is processed at all. That means to say no to sugar. Even dairy products and grains and beans are forbidden in the diet.
This diet does not allow items which were introduced later in our geological history. It has to be “early man’s diet.” Initially, these food items were not a part of our diet and hence sometimes can be difficult to digest. There are people who are lactose intolerant, and this can be a potential example of why their body cannot digest and process it.
Now that we have a basic understanding of this diet, let us see what makes these diets similar or different, and this might help you to decide better if you really want to try any of these out.
Similarities between the keto diet and the paleo diet
- Both keto and paleo diets concentrate on the consumption of foods which are high quality as well as full of nutrients.
- Both of these diets require you to give up grains and legumes as well as any kids of dairy-based products.
- Both of these diets are quite effective when it comes to losing weight and improving your body image. This also helps to increase your self-confidence.
- These diets both help you to improve your mood and energy as well as help you sleep better. You might face difficulties in the beginning, but that is only because there is a massive change in your diet and the human body might take time to get used to it and adjust to it.
Differences between the keto diet and the paleo diet.
- Keto diet is much higher in the fat intake when it compares to the paleo diet. The paleo diet is higher in carbs when compared to keto as a keto diet is majorly about keeping carbs in any form, out of your diet.
- Paleo diet includes intake of starchy vegetables as well as lots of fruits. The keto diet cannot do the same as these things have a high amount of carbs. The exact idea is the intake of fewer than 50 grams of carbs in a day. When it comes to the keto diet.
- Paleo diet is healthier than keto as it concentrates more on healthy and rather, clean eating and is great for our digestion. Keto, on the other hand, is great for people who really want to concentrate on weight loss and is good for people who want to prevent diabetes.
- Diets like keto are better done when you have a doctor or some professional monitoring your intake of food. The diet needs to be in check. Around 60-75% calories from fat, 5-10% from carbs and around 15-30% calories are to be burnt from carbs. For maximum benefits these need to be close to the data above. When it comes to paleo, there is no accurate breakdown, and you do not need professional taking care of your intake. It just includes a lot of clean eating and can intake of about 100-150 grams of carb intake.
- Keto is a vegan diet and does allow the intake of meat so if you are meat lover, this might be very difficult for you. If you do not want to give up on meat, then the paleo diet allows that you can definitely try that without having to stop the consumption of meat. If you are a vegan you can still follow the paleo diet and leave the meats out of your diet, it will still be quite a healthy diet plan for you.
These are some of the basic similarities and differences when it comes to the keto diet and the paleo diet. Now that you have a better understanding of this diet you can pretty much make out if they are for you or not. Both these diets are based on different principles and have different rules of food intakes.
While the keto diet concentrates a lot on weight loss, the paleo diet is all about a diet concentrating on the overall health of the body.
Both these diet help with the overall functioning of the body. It really now up to your preference. Both of these diets are easy to follow and do not need you to go on intense working out sessions; however regular exercise is recommended whether you are on a diet or not. Benefits of exercising are numerous.
Just because these diet plans include leaving out a lot of food items does not mean you have to consume boring foods. These days a lot of people are coming up with new food recipes which follow these diets but are anyway delicious.
Now the choice is yours!