One of the most common types of problem we all suffer from is a headache. There can be multiple reasons for a person to suffer from headache or even no reason at all. Anyone can get a headache, can be anytime or be experienced by a person of all ages and gender. Everyone has experienced a headache at least at some point in their life, and it can be because of stress, anxiety, migraine, cold, etc.
This headache can even trigger other problems and diseases. It can even disturb your daily routine depending upon the intensity of pain you feel and the amount of time you feel a headache.
One can experience a headache in different parts of the brain. There are different types of headaches which can be differentiated on the basis of intensity and reason.
Primary headaches: These headaches include cluster headaches and migraines, etc. reason for these pains can be because of overactivity of certain parts like neck, blood vessels, etc.
Secondary headaches: These types of headaches are caused by other factors such as a hangover, brain tumor, blood clots, etc. basically these headaches also become symptoms for other issues one might face.
We can get rid of these headaches by various means and methods. While some of these require you to take medical and professional treatments, some of the benign headaches can be easily relieved by using homemade treatments and remedies.
These are easy to follow and can help solve the problem naturally without having to take any medicines; this is anyway a better method than relying on medicines as eating excessive medication can cause big problems on their own whereas homemade remedies, no matter how many times are used do not cause any harm to an individual.
Here are certain home remedies or ways to reduce headaches and their frequency
1.Drinking water: Keeping your body hydrated is highly important and is a necessity to make sure your body is running efficiently. Lack of hydration can cause a lot of problems one of which is getting a headache.
Dehydration is actually one of the causes of migraines and headaches, and hence it is important to drink water regularly. There are also many apps which you can actually download to keep track of your water intake. Daily water, hydro coach, gulp are some of the apps you can download.
2.Alcohol content: People who drink alcohol on a daily basis can get headaches. Alcohol also is one of the biggest reasons that lead to dehydration. People who drink alcohol a lot can also trigger migraines, and it is actually quite a common reason for people to get migraines.
Excessive alcohol can also lead to hangovers which are also a form of terrible headaches. Alcohol can also lead to a widening of blood vessels, and this also causes headaches for some people and headaches are also symptoms of diseases related to blood vessels.
3. Sleeping: We cannot stress enough on the importance of an adequate amount of sleep. Not sleeping enough is a very big reason why some people get headaches. It is important to sleep at least for an amount of 6 hours every day and research has shown people who do not sleep enough are more likely to receive headaches.
This also does not mean you can oversleep in the name of health. It is shown that people who oversleep can experience headaches just as much as people who do not. Too little or too much of anything is never good, everything in proper, adequate amounts is necessary. The perfect amount of sleep is somewhere from seven to nine hours on a daily basis.
4. Use of essential oils: First of all, essential oils are oils which contain aromatic compounds. These are generally extracted from different plants, for example, rosemary, tea tree, etc. Aromatherapy is very well known especially for its relaxing qualities. Aromatherapy is a good way to get rid of headaches and stress as this helps you calm down and relax.
Using lavender and peppermint essential oil for such therapeutic uses is very effective. These oils can be applied to your temples, and this might lead to reduced headaches especially the ones caused by stress and tension. These oils can also be inhaled, it can be through a diffuser, or even scented candles can be a good way.
5. Cold compress:A cold compress is a use of applying a very cold and mostly frozen object to the back of the neck as well as the head. This can be a towel, a metal object that is kept in the freezer or even ice rolled in a cloth. What this does is that it decreases the inflammation. This also relaxes you as it slows the nerve conduction down. You can also apply cold gels or other such things to improve your headaches.
6. Caffeine: Caffeine is said to be a good way to get rid of headaches. Caffeinated hot beverages such as tea, coffee, herbal teas which contain caffeine can help you to improve your mood and constrict blood vessels. This helps when you are experiencing a headache.
Sipping on beverages that contain caffeine, such as tea or coffee, may provide relief when you are experiencing a headache. However, too much caffeine isn’t the best way to get rid of headaches. People who receive headaches can take caffeinated drinks, but this should not become a regular thing as people who drink too much caffeine on a daily basis when stop drinking; it can also experience a headache.
7. Ginger :Ginger is a root that contains antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory substances. It is often used a lot in medicines thanks to its healing properties. People often add ginger to the tea as it also helps reduce headaches. Consuming ginger tea by itself is also a great way to reduce headaches as well as other issues like cold, nausea, etc. Consuming around 250 mg of ginger can help you relieve general headaches.
8. Cloves :Cloves are available everywhere and are generally always already in our kitchens. Cloves can simply powder and put in a handkerchief. Just inhaling the smell of it can help with headaches. Clove oil can also be inhaled and massaged to feel better.
9. Acupressure technique: Acupressure is a very old technique which can solve many problems. Acupressure is a great way to solve problems using just your own body naturally. You can press and massage the area between your index finger and the thumb.
This has to be done on the highest spot, at the fleshy are when the finger and thumb are brought close together. This acupressure technique is called the ‘joining valley.’ This can be performed for a minute or two to cure headaches naturally. It can be done on both the hands.
10. Exercise: Exercise is very important for our body and mind to function. Regularly exercising and taking good care of your body is the best way to keep problems like headaches at bay. Yoga, running and other kinds of basic exercises are also enough.
These are some of the simple most ways to get rid of headaches at home without having to gulp down medicines and visiting a doctor.